Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- In 2014, the center installed 3,708 solar panels that produce nearly 1.4 million kWh of power. That is enough energy saved to power 122 homes for one year!
- Fashion Fair has reduced its carbon footprint by 1,037 metric tons, equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions from 222 cars for one year.
- Fashion Fair offers electric vehicle charging stations located by BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Trash compactors on property are taken to a facility that sorts out the recyclable materials.
- The center recycles cardboard and encourages our retailers to do the same.
- Contractors are also required to use trash containers that are taken to a facility that sorts out the recyclable materials.
- The center and its retailers recycle all used lighting.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building